Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Don't Worry, Be Happy

In exactly three weeks I will be on a plane headed to Honduras!  What in the world?!?  Many people have been asking how things are going, how they can help, what I am feeling, and so on. Well, as my parents would probably tell you, I have not been the most pleasant person the last couple of weeks.  While I am beyond excited and anxious to move, I have been completely overwhelmed.  The paperwork, packing, accepting reality, and financial strain have all been STRESSING ME OUT!  I think the devil has been working overtime (but I don't need to give him any credit).  


As of today though, I can finally say that my boxes are packed and shipped, most of my paperwork is finished, and things are starting to look up.  My family and I traveled to Tennessee today to meet Bobby and Julie, a married couple that I will be working with in Honduras.  They are wonderful!!  They have listended to my ranting, answered my many questions, and are so graciously taking my boxes to the shipping location so I don't have to pay to ship them.  For the first time in a few weeks, I finally rediscovered the excitement and positivity that has been lacking.  

Even in the midst of frustration, I am constantly amazed at how God works and how He is constantly affirming my move.  It seems that He places someone in my path, almost weekly, who has a connection to Honduras.  I spent a week in Birmingham, Alabama on a World Changers mission project and a guy on my crew has a ministry in Honduras...crazy, huh?  We were able to talk, share, and enjoy special stories from our personal experiences.  Last week, I spoke to an Acteens group at a church and a lady from Honduras was actually visiting.  I spent the last part of the evening talking and connecting with her.

Finances have been a big stresss lately.  It has been very difficult for me adjusting to the fact that I am going to have to rely a lot on outside support and donations/assistance from individuals, rather than getting a "normal" paycheck.  I keep telling my parents that I don't want to be a burden to them or other people, and I'm really not good with asking for help.  But again, God always comes through.  A very wise person shared with me, "There are goers and there are senders."  Not everyone can go, so the senders helps the goers go.  Let me just say, the senders are just as much a part of the mission as the goers - we couldn't go without the senders.

 Funny thing is, I'm not even in Honduras yet and God is already taking care of all the details.  Thank you to everyone for your encouragement, love, and your prayers.  You don't realize how much your kindness helps.  

"Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done." Philippians 4:6

If you are interested in "sending", here are some great ways to help:
- Prayer
- Financial support
- Sharing my story
- Donating school supplies
If you would like more information about any of these, please feel free to contact me at Lmwood86@gmail.com

With a heart full of gratitude,
Lauren

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lauren,

    I had NO idea you were going on this wonderful journey....GO YOU! I remember back to teaching fellows and you always talking about being a principal....and I knew you would do BIG things! I always looked up to you for those aspirations! Please know that I'm praying for you while you're on the grand journey. I see that you need school supplies. How could I get these to you? Id love you support your mission!!

    Good luck, prayers, blessings, and peace to you--
    -Jeana

    ReplyDelete